Friday, April 16, 2010

Couch to 5k and running in general

I have to give credit where it is due and this program is definitely owed some thanks. I have tried to start running so many times before and it wasn't until this program that I was able to stick with it. I never made it past a 1/2 mile.

The program wasn't a success right away. It's not magical, it doesn't do the work for you, and it still hurts. But it was manageable and it moved forward at a level that I could handle. The first few weeks were really difficult for me. What has always kept me from running is my breathing. I could never get it under control and would end up freaking out and stopping. I could push my body further but my lungs just weren't having it (pretty ridiculous coming from a musician, I know). And after so many failed attempts, I started to HATE running. I was really quite vehemently against it. Around the beginning of Week 3 of C25k, I began to feel differently. I no longer hated it, I was gradually building a tolerance for it. Now, I'm not going to lie and say that I love to run. Because I don't. But, now after over 2 months of doing it regularly, I'm starting to like it- especially the way I feel after I've finished a run. That's the addicting part for me, that feeling of empowerment.

Now I try to run 2-3 miles 4 x a week. I think following a plan was the best idea I ever had, and so now I'm going to try another one to build up to a 10k. We will see what happens with that. This is the plan that I have chosen. I will start with week 7 next week. Wish me luck ! :)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ryan,

    Thank You for entering the Beso Hunter Boot contest. I hope you are given the opportunity to own a pair of these timeless graphite Hunter boots to enhance your style during the Spring and Summer rainy days as you stomp in the mud.

    Thank You and Good Luck!
    The Beso Team
    http://www.beso.com/style-director-contest/

    ReplyDelete